Called to Serve!!

Called to Serve!!
Yo amo El Libro de Mormon

Friday, August 8, 2014

I survived the first week!

Hola mi familia!  i don't even know where to start....
 first off thanks for all the letters, they seriously made my day :)

So day 1, after i emailed you i walk out of the computer lab and my companion was gone.  So i literally lost my companion after the 1st 5 minutes of being a missionary.  so the whole day i just chilled with 2 other hermanas that ended up being my roommates. So that night there was the biggest thunderstorm ever! It was so sweet! the streets were seriously flooding. I was in the cafeteria when it hit and we're just watching and laughing as elders and hermanas are running to take shelter.  So my companion and i had to get back to out room to unpack so we take off our shoes and without a word my companion takes off at a full sprint through the storm.  So i hurry to catch up with her and the first step i take i nearly wipe out.  we were drenched by the time we got to la casa.  haha and then as i'm telling my companion and roommates how much i love storms, lightning strikes the ground a couple hundred feet away and there's a huge clap of thunder that sounded like an explosion. and i'm all "then again maybe i don't love storms..."   haha

So my companion is hermana Parkinson. she's from spanish fork.  and she is absolutely amazing! we get along so well. she is just like me!  She swims, plays volleyball, sings, plays piano, quotes movies. she's great.  when I randomly burst out into song she'll automatically start harmonizing with me! it makes my life so happy :)  and we always finish lunch early so we have a 1/2 hr to go play the piano. so i've definitely getting my music in :)
     oh and on that note, the elders found out that i can play pirates of the carribean on the piano and they make me play it ever single day. haha at least someone appreciates it *cough*andrew*cough*cough.   and they found out that i can sing so they've been trying to get me to sing for them. hah like that's ever gonna happen.

I see Tanner all over the place.  It's great. Its seriously super nice having someone i know here. especially the first few days it was such a relief seeing a familiar face.  he's been giving me the 411 on the CCM. I was kinda hoping his P-day would be the same as mine so we could play some serious volleyball but i forgot to ask when it was. he's district leader (so surprise there)  oh and all the elders in his district love teasing me. everyone does actually....i don't really know why. haha

my spanish es estambien.  I'm surprised how much has already come back to me from my pathetic 3 yrs of spanish in jr. high.  actually i won't give any credit to that. its all the gift of tongues.  I can understand 90% of a conversation when a white person is talking and then it drops to below 10% when a Latino is talking.  But our fake investigators (who by-the-way just committed to be baptized last night) praise hermana parkinson's and my spanish. so i guess we're doing something right.  haha except for the fact that i'm not used to how things don't translate exactly the same.  so we're in an appointment and i said 'abrirá con un oración?' which is 'will you open with a prayer?  the investigator just stares and is all 'how do you open a prayer?' whoops, guess that doesn't make sense in their language. 
oh and i accidentily offended some latino.  he was helping our class with our spanish lesson and one of the elders said something and jokingly i said "tu estupido" ... i guess that's super offensive in spanish cuz the Latino didn't take that too well.....
then as i was teaching a lesson in my broken spanish i accidentily said that Jesus was baptized for his sins.  that was not a good mistake to make. haha

the food here is absolutely terrible.  I can barely swallow the meat cuz its always so dry or so spicy.  I've resulted to eating cereal and salad.  my companion forces me to eat stuff cuz she's convinced i'm not eating enough. I'm still not used to the fact that i can't just have snacks throughout the day so i eat a small meal and then just have to suffer until the next one.  on the bright side they offer nutella sandwiches every day for breakfast and dinner so my life is happy.

The first couple days were super long.  I felt like my brain was going to explode or just turn to mush.  we were studying so much and it was all so overwhelming. so when sunday came around we kinda took it as a relaxing day (which it should be right?)  so it was more of a bonding day.  I absolutely love my district! we're seriously family now. its amazing how close i've come to everyone in just 1 week.  my district consisted of my and my companions along with 10 elders. so it is really hard to focus when the elders are goofing off constantly.  we have to study in the same room and i don't think the elders know what studying means.

So awkward moment for the week:  my companion and i had been studying super hard so after dinner we got back to our classroom and there's a hackeysac sitting on one of the elder's desks so we pick it up and start playing.  At one point the hackeysac was flying super far so i dove to get it. i end up sprawled out on the floor, and when i look up all the elders are watching through the door window and laughing.   so lesson learned: never play hackeysac in a skirt and always play in a place where the elders can't find you. haha

Gym time is always the highlight of my day! the past few days we've been playing volleyball. its so much fun!  the first day all the courts were taken so my companion and i just chilled on the grass doing some stretches and stuff and before i knew it I was suddenly getting back into my gymnastic days. i can proudly say I did a successful round-off backhandspring for the first time in who knows how long.  The elders found out that i play ping-pong and frisbee so one of these days i'm taking them on.

So one of my hermanas in my room has the most annoying alarm clock known to man. and she insists on setting it for 6 for some reason. one of these days i'm gonna smash that alarm with a hammer.

So right before coming to write this i was walking out of the post office and there were 2 latinos sitting there so i go to say goodbye to them and as i walk out the door i say "hola" (instead of adios) and i'm looking at them as i step out of the door, who knew that there was a huge step right there and i completely fall out the door.  my companion makes fun of me a lot cuz i somehow manage to fall at least twice (normally a lot more than twice) a day.  i think i have a talent for this.

Well i love it here. I miss you all! and i'll talk to you next thursday!

love, Hermana Hebdon

No comments:

Post a Comment